Release the Kraken! (WIP)



No, no... not *THAT* Kraken... the old school style Kraken.. you know...



Yea, that's the one... except really, I'm talking about the Ral Partha Kraken cavalry which I got through the first Chaos Wars Kickstarter back in 2015. These have been part of the lead pile for about 9 months now... and it's time to build one!

These suckers are huge and heavy. The tentacles need to be attached to the body, so that's a job for pinning, epoxy and then green stuff! So that's part of what I was working on this weekend...



Eventually, a Sea Elf leader-type will be seated on this beast, but for now, it's all about the monster.

I may also be working on a homebrew battering ram, since there aren't any readily available 25/28mm ones at a reasonable price available.

And just between you and me... if we want to go old school on Krakens, THIS is what scared the hell out of me when I was a young boy...


Comments

  1. I don't know what it is about the old adventure movies, but I've always loved them. I guess it was a chance to see adults playing with some really cool toys. I'll take a big rubber puppet over CGI any day of the week!

    For years I thought that the kraken was the monster in the 1981 Clash of the Titans. I loved that film so much that had to see more. I still go out of my way to watch the special effects of Ray Harryhausen. I wonder why he went with the odd monster that he did, instead of accurately depicting the kraken as it should had been?

    Still haven't seen the remake, I didn't see the point of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CotT was a fun movie for the day, but I have to admit that CGI Godzilla 2014 and the kaiju from Pacific Rim were really well done. I think it has to do with our age and what touched us at the time, I'm still drawn to the psychedelic visions and monsters, or the horror type monsters like the goblins and wraiths from the animated Hobbit/LOTR.

    You know, you're right about the odd monster. I have a feeling it was cheaper to make the standup monster than a many tentacled Kraken.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment