Dungeon23 - Wk 20 - Diving into the 7th level

I couldn't help but get back into the rhythm and start on Level 7. That's the one thing about establishing a habit, if I'm ahead of the curve, I'm still going to want to work on the thing daily. We'll see what happens as that goes along.

I'm doing a mashup of the Gygax Dungeon Generator (from Strategic Review #1/Dungeon Master Guide Appendix A) and the Dungeon Architect Cards. I'm using the GDG for passages, room contents and stairs, and the DAC for room/chamber layouts. So far, this is working VERY well! I think I prefer the way a dungeon lays out with the Gygax method, but the DAC cards give me enough of various room layouts and types that I like. 

I'm also giving a nod to my Ultima CRPG history by incorporating some of the dungeons from the early games into this level. Some of the chambers from the DAC are quite large. Large enough that I can put a facsimile of an entire Ultima level into one of these chambers! I think it's pretty damn cool and I'm looking forward to seeing how the players handle a dungeon-in-a-chamber situation. These are the sort of things that are keeping Dungeon23 fresh and exciting to me as I keep on diving deeper into the dungeon.


For level 7, I've taken advantage of my home-hosted Hex-Describe instance and my "Ref Tools" page to give me this:


Instead of the many, many dice rolls for passages, side passages, doors and room exits, I've just plugged the tables into my tool and moving forward. At some point, I'm going to have to create a separate OD&D-based tool website and put these there, so that I'm not flipping back and forth between multiple web pages. In the meantime, this works.

-----

Dungeon23 stats: as of week 20

  • Levels: 10 (+ 4 sublevels)
  • Rooms: 390 (20 added in wk 20)
  • Levels 1 - 6: mapped/keyed.
  • Level 7: Mapping/keying in progress
  • Levels 8, 9, 10 connected
  • 4 sublevels mapped/keyed
  • Town: Created, 7 locations/NPCs keyed.
  • Surrounding Wilderness: Created, locations/NPCs keyed

 

Comments