RPGaDay 2023 - Days 1 thru 7

 

I'm normally shy about these things, but thought "What the heck" and wanted to share some of the things that make me happy about playing RPG games. So... here you go! Days 1 - 7!

1. First RPG played (this year)

AD&D/1e on 4 Jan

2. First RPG Gamemaster 

I honestly do not remember his name. It was at a gamestore in Milford Ohio, and I was one of the rare teens the adults allowed into their AD&D game. I do remember getting bored after a few months and I stopped playing in that campaign.

Or maybe I just wanted to be the GM myself 😂

3. First RPG bought (this year)

A flash drive full of Classic Traveller - 1977, 1981, Starter, Traveller Book, Deluxe Traveller plus adventures, supplements and other GDW goodies from the classic era.

I am the worst audience for buying new RPGs. I very rarely do so. The last "new" RPG was the Princess Bride Kickstarter in 2018.

4. Most recent game bought

Far Future Enterprise's / Marc Miller's "CD-Rom" (flash drive) full of the books, supplements, games, accessories and other info from Classic Traveller dating 1977 - 1986.  Best $35 I ever spent for 108 PDFs.  (https://www.farfuture.net/)

5. Oldest game that I've played

Played/Playing the 1974 version of Dungeons & Dragons (aka OD&D) - just the 3 little brown books, no later supplements. My players are delving my Dungeon23 megadungeon.

I've also combined OD&D with combat rules from Chainmail, a wargame written by Gary Gygax & Jeff Perrin, published in 1971. Played that both in my duet game w/my wife & also at conventions playing the venerable TSR module T1 - Village of Hommlet.

6. Favorite game I NEVER get to play

Up till June of this year, I would have said "Classic Traveller" but that's no longer true! So I would have to say Marvel Superheroes/FASERIP. Every convention I go to, I try to find a MSH/FASERIP game to play. I really like the old system, much more so than Champions, which I played for several years.

7. "Smartest" RPG I have played

What the heck does "smartest" mean anyway? Most intelligent? Crunchiest or requiring a lot of maths? Tactics? Or just the best dressed RPG? Well, since day 23 is "coolest looking" and day 24 is "simple/complex", I'm going to go with "a game that looks cool and stretched my brain a bit" and that would 3:16. 

Authored by Gregor Hutton and published by BoxNinja, it's a crazy game that combines a WH40k grimdark approach to combat with a weird pseudo-religious overtone to Humanity being driven to kill all non-human life in the Universe. It had some neat approaches, some call outs to older games (banded combat ranges, ala Traveller) and it was one of those types of games that I call "boutique" - requires the right group with the right  mindset to pull off a session of watching your humanity slip away mission by mission. It's pretty crazy. 

You can check out a promo/preview/maybe the "jam" version that became the published game - http://gregorhutton.com/roleplaying/3-16.pdf
 

Comments