Dungeon23 - Wk 19 - Where is my megadungeon?

This week, I completed keying of Level 6, 11 days early! The wandering monster list is complete. So now what do I do for the next 11 days? 

I went back to my original premise for the Black Maw and the campaign that I'm running for it. The PCs are brought as prisoners to a remote island and dump unceremoniously onto a rocky beach. The entrance to the Black Maw is a short distance away.

Exploring some, the PCs figured out that there are rocky, rough hills on either side of the Maw, and a dry, scrub desert beyond. A couple of hours walk brings them to the town of Oily Messe. 

Great and all, and this has worked for the past four months... but what else is on this island? Well, that was the subject of much of this week's work, mapping out the area surrounding the Maw! 

Here's a rough map, with what the PCs know so far:


Thanks to my Hex-Describe tool, I was able to generate contents and create some pretty compelling stories and encounters in about an hour! Since this is OD&D, I had to make a few additions/changes. To help with that, I've grabbed a copy of Mr. Josh Bear's OD&D Tools site and modified/updated it for my own use, hosting it on private family webserver. 

So while the PCs are definitely focused (rightly so) on the Maw, if/when they get strong enough to brave the wilderness, there might be something out there waiting for them!

 -----

Dungeon23 stats: as of week 19

  • Levels: 9 (+ 4 sublevels)
  • Rooms: 370 (0 added in wk 19)
  • Levels 1 - 6: mapped/keyed.
  • Levels 7, 9, 10 connected
  • 4 sublevels mapped/keyed
  • Town: Created, 7 locations/NPCs keyed.
  • Surrounding Wilderness: Created, locations/NPCs keyed

Comments